September 29, 2010

Pat's Not-So-Super-Secret Everything Seasoning

I figured my first recipe posted should be something that I use often, but rarely make - my everything seasoning.

I use this seasoning in most of my protein based (read: meat and poultry) recipes. It can be pretty much be used in anything that needs some flavor. It has a kick, but is palate approved from those that are adverse to spicy dishes. It can be easily modified to fit the flavors of the dish or add some additional "hot" (for those of us that prefer to clear our sinuses with food).

After the jump I will give a history of the seasoning and then the recipe. If you only care about the recipe, go straight to the bottom because knowing me I can be rather long winded.

In the beginning...

So my cooking and baking roots began in college when I moved out of the dorms and into my first apartment. Real life hits hard and fast when you no longer have Mom's cooking or the dorm cafeterias to supplement your nutrition. Most college students choose to feed themselves with one of the following:
  1. Eat out / Take out
  2. Top Ramen
  3. Learn to cook
Now the first option can become rather expensive and unhealthy. Top Ramen only has so many faux flavors. That leaves actually learning to cook. This can be a scary thing, especially with a clumsy person contained in a room with sharp objects and open flames.

My initial cooking endeavors began with the barbecue. This is where my seasoning began its life: as a dry rub for my BBQ meats. It was initially composed of a 2 to 1 ratio of Lawry's Seasoned Salt and Lawry's Garlic Salt. As you can tell, it was super complicated. I received rather good responses but I was rarely satisfied with the end result. If you know me, I am my own biggest critic.

I experimented with dry rubs, marinades, sauces and a mix of the lot but time and time again I came to prefer the dry rub. It was here where I began to develop my seasoning as a standard in my spice rack. Fast forward to the present and I now have a fairly standard go-to seasoning for use with pretty much anything. It can be modified easily to fit the dish and the tastes of the end-user. Without further ado, I introduce my everything seasoning.


Pat's Not-So-Super-Secret Seasoning

Ingredients

3 Tbs Paprika
2 Tbs Kosher salt
1 Tbs Pepper
2 1/2 Tbs Garlic Powder
1 Tbs Cayenne (more if you like it "hot")
1 Tbs Onion Powder
1 Tbs Oregano
1 Tbs Thyme

Directions

Mix everything together.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. It's also known as Outback's special seasoning... with that said, I use the same recipe on all of my steaks as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I agree there are some similarities, the Outback Seasoning is definitely different.

    ReplyDelete