October 21, 2010

Red-Wine Spaghetti with Broccoli


Sometimes you just have to try it...

This recipe first crossed my eyes as "purple pasta." Once I read the ingredients, I was definitely skeptical. Who soaks pasta in wine? I quickly dismissed the recipe as a joke. But as the days passed I thought, "You've never tried something like this [and no one I spoke to had either]. Who knows?" Curiosity started to do its thing. The tipping point finally occurred when one of my roommates proclaimed "This Thursday is Thirsty Thursday. We should eat and drink lots of wine!" Little did she know that we really were going to "eat" lots of wine.

Process

The recipe I started from was Michael Chiarello's, however his recipe calls for using tips of Broccoli Rabe. My Safeway had none, so I opted for just broccoli heads. That, and I couldn't recall what broccoli rabe tastes like.



This is definitely one of those recipes where you want your ingredients all prepped and ready to go before the real cooking begins. Start by boiling a pot of water. The pot should be large enough for all your broccoli, as well as cooking your pasta.While the water is heating up, start removing the stems off the broccoli. How much of the stems you leave on is your preference, but I chopped most of mine off. The result should be bite-sized.


Finely chop your garlic, I used my handy slap-chop. Add salt to the boiling water (add the amount recommended by your pasta, or to your personal tastes). Blanch the broccoli but save the water. Blanching will bring out the flavor (and color) which is important to balance out the wine. With your broccoli draining and cooled, start boiling the pasta in the same water. You won't be cooking it all the way, so keep your eyes on it. Remove the pasta, and keep about a cup of the water.

Next, put the wine and sugar in the pot and get that to a boil. While thats going, start warming up a large deep skillet in prep for your olive oil. Once the wine has boiled for 2 minutes, add the pasta back in. For about 6 minutes the pasta will absorb the wine and complete being cooked. Meanwhile, add the oil, garlic and red pepper to the skillet and cook over medium heat until the garlic is golden. At that point, add the broccoli, salt and pepper and let that fuse for a minute or two. Then transfer the pasta-wine to the skillet (it should all fit) and add that saved cup of water. Toss in the skillet for a few more minutes then remove from the heat.

Drizzle with some more olive oil to prevent sticking, and mix in your cheese and you're ready to eat! I finished my dish with a side of grilled chicken, and I must say, I was rather pleased with the results. My roomie even "volunteered" to eat the leftovers for lunch the next day! The wine was not overpowering at all, and blended well with the cheese and broccoli. I even had a glass (or three) of white wine to go with it. ;)



Red-Wine Spaghetti with Brocolli

Ingredients

  • 2 pounds broccoli, stems removed
  • 1 pound spaghetti
  • 1 bottle Zinfandel (750 ml)
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped (2 tablespoons)
  • 1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese

Directions

  1. Blanch Broccoli in salted water. Keep water.
  2. Cook spaghetti in same water for 5 minutes (will be undercooked). Keep a cup of the water.
  3. Bring sugar and wine to a rigorous boil, and boil for 2 minutes.
  4. Add spaghetti and continue to boil for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  5. Meanwhile, add olive oil, garlic, and red peppers to a large deep skillet and cook over medium heat until garlic is golden.
  6. Add broccoli, salt, and pepper to the skillet and stir for 1 minute.
  7. Add spaghetti, wine, and the reserved water to the skillet. Continue to cook for a few more minutes.
  8. Remove from the heat, drizzle with olive oil, mix in the cheese.

2 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool! I'm super interested in how it tastes - did the wine flavor really come through? I wanna try this now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, totally a cool recipe. The wine flavor was definitely there.

    ReplyDelete