October 22, 2010

Natalie's Salsa

My all-time favorite salsa.

Period.

I am totally in love with this salsa. It is smokey and spicy and can be easily modified for preferences.

As the title might suggest, this recipe is not my own. I have shamelessly stolen it and made it countless times over. This recipe came from a good friend of mine, Natalie. She also blogs (though not about food) and has a road less traveled ("deviant" in her own words) take on scrapbooking.

Recipes like this are part of my new thing in making all my own sauces instead of buying commercial. In some cases it's easy and even cheaper, in other instances not so much. Either way, the accomplishment in making your own sauce is satisfying.

Background

Way back in the before time of 2007, I began to attend the annual Labor Day party that Natalie and her husband throw. The food is Mexican and it is good. It was after this first appearance that I then begged the recipe from Natalie, of which she gladly gave it to me.

Process

As you will see, this salsa is easy. I have learned and discovered that when things are this easy and good, why not make your own? Forget the store bought stuff and use fresh veggies and simple ingredients.



Begin by preheating your oven to 400°F and taking the Roma tomatoes, onion, garlic, Serrano peppers and place them on a sided baking tray. It is easier to cut the onions in quarters to prevent rolling and help roast more evenly. Let them sit in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes. It is the roasting that gives this salsa it's unique flavor.


Once the veggies are roasted, remove them from the oven (and any juices that leaked) and transfer them into a food processor. This is one thing in the kitchen I do not have and I am now really starting to feel it with my increased cooking. I use a blender which works fine for the salsa but has hurt me in other dishes. All this teaches me is that I need a food processor soon.

Into the food processor goes the cumin, salt, cilantro, and lime juice. Pulse the salsa until chunky but combined. You can serve immediately (though it will be warm from the oven) or cool in the fridge until you need it.


A few notes about the recipe:

  • Feel free to change the pepper type or quantity based on your preferences. The Serrano works well but two of them might be a bit hot for some people (I prefer hot).
  • I used a Habanero chili in lieu of one of the Serrano peppers once. It was spicy. Very spicy, but good, if you like spicy.
  • Depending on consistency you can go for chunky or liquid, but I think a good medium is best for these particular flavors.

Natalie's Salsa

Ingredients

1 lb Roma tomatoes
1 white onion, quartered
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 Serrano chilies 
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 lime, juiced

Directions
  1. Preheat your oven to 400°F. Place Roma tomatoes, onion, garlic, and Serrano peppers on sided baking tray. Let roast for 12 to 15 minutes.
  2. Transfer roasted vegetables and any juices into a food processor. Add cumin, salt, cilantro, and lime juice and pulse until well-combined but still chunky.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shoutout. I should note that the original recipe calls for jalepeno chiles, which are much less spicy than serranos (if you prefer it less spicy, that is).

    We've come to the conclusion that we don't want the tomato pulverized but we do want the onion pulverized. I've taken to putting everything except the tomatoes into the food processor first, giving it a good whirl, then adding the tomatoes and pulsing.

    ReplyDelete