October 18, 2010

Garlic Roasted Potatoes

The potato. The most popular tuber vegetable in the world. The potato originated in South America and most of the world's species of potatoes are derived from a single subspecies in Chile. The average person consumes 73 pounds of potato every year. Being Irish, I value the importance of the potato

This recipe is the oldest recipe I have and its roots begin in 6th grade. While I was in 6th grade, students were required to take an elective rotation series that included art, computers, drama, and home economics. In the home-ec class we were required cook a meal for our families. One of the dishes I made was garlic roasted potatoes. While I do not remember where I got the recipe initially, I have kept this one in my back pocket.

Now that you have way more information about potatoes and my childhood than you ever wanted to know, I will get to the dish.

Process

Potatoes are very versatile and easy to cook. As they contain a good portion of indigestible starch, they need to be cooked to be consumed. This dish combines potatoes with my absolutely favorite thing in the food world: garlic.


Begin by pre-heating your oven to 400°F. Wash and cut the potatoes into quarters. Put them into a large bowl. Combine with the rosemary, a whole lot of garlic and red onion. Mix with the olive oil.



Place the mixture in a dish and place into the oven. Let the potatoes cook for about thirty minutes until the potatoes are golden.


Garlic Roasted Potatoes

Ingredients

1 1/2 lbs red potatoes (quartered)
3 T rosemary
2 T garlic cloves
1/2 red onion (diced)
3 T olive oil

Directions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
  2. Combine potatoes, rosemary, garlic, and onions in a large bowl. Add olive oil and mix thoroughly.
  3. Place in a baking dish for ~30 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment